XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:19:23

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 04:57:11 

it is a little surprising that the M18T has some of the same issues that the AE RC18T had such as the dimpled chassis thing and the gear cover thing... :roll:

however, they did apparently get the steering and the drive train right... 8)

someone in another forum said that the RC18t is like a Chevy and the M18T is like a BMW... i think XRay should go with that theme and produce a high-priced toy truck with all the issues addressed and all the good stuff, stock... They should have the toy truck for the elite instead of the masses theme going! :lol: in reality, they probably can't compete with the RC18T for the same market, so why bother... go for the niche!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:03:55 

Hello, I will soon buy an M18T but am a little worried about one thing, that is wether you can use a 370 size motor or not? I also wondered about you guys with brushless engines and/or lipos, what upgrades should I have except for the alu CVDs? Also, if I use this motor: http://www.b-p-p.com/proddetail.php?prod=db_YC22 in the 6000kv setup, will the car be hard to drive? What other problems will I have with running that setup? Should I go 2s or 3s lipo with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 00:14:12 

mario wrote:
LugNutz wrote:
Thanks for responding Mario, can you tell me whether the car was designed for indoor and outdoor or mainly indoor?

M18T has been designed for both indoor and outdoor use and was of course tested in both conditions. XRAY has been hard working on further improvements specially for dusty outdoor racing. There are very few minor things that need a small improvement and will make the M18T running as perfectly outdoors as it does indoors. I see not a problem and you can be sure that XRAY stands behind all the products, providing not only outstanding customer support but also ongoing development, improvements and guarantee of the product evolvment. For this of course valuable constructive feedback is neccessary and it is also neccessary to give sufficient time to the R&D team to gather all data, process them, filter them and make a proper final solution. XRAY will make only the best solutions to keep all the owners happy and satisfied.

What has happened with the R&D? Any updates to report?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 04:24:20 

I have competed the conversion of my M18T to the M18MT using all original Xray parts. This includes 2 additional front/rear towers, 4 shocks and the Starbusrt wheels and Chevron Tires.

On full steering, both LH and RH turns, the tires scrub up against the chassis long before the lower extension (7mm end) of the suspension block hits the side of the lower arm. Is there a fix in the works other than adjusting the EPA of the servo? I have added a piece of nitro fuel tubing, about 3/8", over the end of the extension to try to get it to stop before the tire scrub and it's almost a fix - still the tire can catch the chassis but not as bad.

I have a Mamba 6800 system, with a Multiplex Digital servo and all in all the M18T/M18MT is head and shoulders above the RC18T I have in every aspect - steering. handling, etc.

PS - I borrowed the tires and wheels from a friends M18MT kit which he has yet to build. I noticed that the springs are a gold colour - not the silver that came with my M18T.
Does anyone know if they are different (harder/softer) or just a different colour?

Cambridgenorth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 09:23:47 

Cambridgenorth wrote:
I noticed that the springs are a gold colour - not the silver that came with my M18T.
Does anyone know if they are different (harder/softer) or just a different colour?

Cambridgenorth

You will need the #388181 XRAY Spring Front + Rear (4+4) - Set M18MT which are softer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 18:28:46 

Thanks Brano.
Th other issue I raised is in regards to the tires of the M18MT scrubbing up against the chassis. This obviously creates steering problems, and can potentially damage servos, drive train, etc.
What's the fix?
Cambridgenorth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 19:25:44 

Re: Fix for tire srubbing.

Option 1 - Redesign the lower suspension arm so that the tab which contacts the bottom extension of the steering block extends further and prevents the steering from moving to the point where the tires scrub.

Option 2 - Redesign the steering block so that the extension on the bottom (and the 7mm piece) are of a greater diameter, which would serve the same purpose as outlined in option 1.

Option 3 - Redesign the tires so that there is less diameter on the outside edge - more rounded.

Option 4 - Extend the axles out further so that the tires are further away from the chassis.

There are probably other options similar to the ones listed above although they would all requires significant costs for engineering, new molds, etc. and would also result in less parts sharing between the M18T and M18MT.

The simplest solution, which I have implemented in my truck, is to take a piece of silicon tubing (i.e. fuel tubing) that is 3/8 long and approx. 3/8 diamater and slip it over the extension at the bottom of the steering block (over the 7mm piece). It works, and would only cost pennies to roll-out.

If this is the right fix and you feel it is worthy of some form of recognition/compensation, well I asked for an XB8 from Santa and nothing appeared under the tree for me. Just let him know I have been a good boy and hopefully I'lll get one this year.

Regards,
Cambridgenorth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 05:43:02 

Hi Xray.

I'm posting a question here that I have posted on other threads in the past before realizing that this is the only one you have stated that you will respond to. My apologies - now I know.

I want to put 6 cell side-by-side batteries and lipos packs in my M18T.
As you well know, they won't work with the stock set-up since the battery post postion in the front doesn't allow any sized pack other than a shot-gun style. There is a more forward mounting position for the battery post on the chassi, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it's for since the battery post will bind up against the steering arm if mounted here. Also the mounting holes are askew from the alignment of the chassis and rear mount.

The simply solution, from what I can see, is the battery hold-down that is supplied with the graphite chassis. Eventually I will get the graphite chassis but I have already spend considerable $ on alu outdrives, alu towers and alu motor mount, motor & esc and it is not in the budget yet.

Are you going to sell the battery hold-down from the graphite chassis as a separate item and will it work properly in the composite chassis?

The reason I ask this is that the holes in the composite chassis are not square to the chassis nor are they aligned with the rear battery post.

Is this the same with the grapite chassis or is the mounting position different?

Regards,
Cambridgenorth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:01:58 

The composite holder to allow 6cell inline battery pack to install will be available separately. The Part number will be posted along with picture asap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 01:26:24 

Yippee!
Thanks Mario.

What about the hole alignment in the front position. Is it the same as the graphite chassis (from the pictures it looks like the graphite chassis holes for the front battery mount are square across and not on an angle like the composite)?

Regards,
Cambridgenorth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 06:55:30 

Hello Xray,

It's been almost 2 weeks since I first raised the issue with the M18MT in regards to the tires scrubbing against the chassis on turns. There has been no reply.
Since then I have found other issues that need your attention ASAP and not just a recommendation to buy Alu upgrade parts.

I summarize as follows;

1. Tire scrubbing on body/chassis on turns.

2. Gap between body and chassis - allowing debris into an unprotected spur gear.

3. Suspension Hubs, originally designed for the M18, that can't handle the forces from the wider/taller tires and shear off at the pins connecting to the arms (gone through 5 in 2 days of backyard trial running).

4. Connections, ball links from the steering arms and rear toe-in arm to the susupension hubs which again are not able to handle the forces created by the larger tires on tumbles.

Note that what you are offering is a MONSTER TRUCK which is expected to jump ,tumble and roll. It seems that you have been in quite a hurry to release these new vehicles and optimize parts sharing without proper design considerations on the different conditions and forces these vehicles would be subjected to.

I and others would like a quick and effective resolution to these problems without having to spend extra $ - I have spent enough already.

I have been telling everyone how your vehicles are so amazing and far superior to everything else on the market but I can't continue to support this unless you are able to resolve these obvious flaws.

Regards,
Cambridgenorth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 14:00:59 

Well, I have finished converting mine and have not had any scrubbing against the chassis. Although I am using the THRAX tires and not the Chevron ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 18:16:05 

Cambridgenorth wrote:
Yippee!
Thanks Mario.

What about the hole alignment in the front position. Is it the same as the graphite chassis (from the pictures it looks like the graphite chassis holes for the front battery mount are square across and not on an angle like the composite)?

Regards,
Cambridgenorth

The battery holder will fit the standard composite chassis as well the graphite conversion with no problems. The part number will be posted shortly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 18:43:55 

Cambridge

1.) To eliminate the tires to touch the chassis you need slightly decrease the EPA on your radio. If the tires touch the body, you need to trim the body in front more.

2.) There are different bodies available in the market, some fit better some not. Like in any other scales you can not prevent the dirt get into the car. For extra dirty and dusty conditions running XRAY works on an upgrade that will allow you to run in dirt and dust with no problems. If more information will be available they will be posted online.

3.) As posted in other thread:
Sometimes you do not need a big crash but the "correct" crash you will break the part which you did not break before in bigger crashes. Composite parts do break easily than alu parts.

To be more safe you may want to upgrade to the alu steering blocks:
#382252 alu steering block right
#382262 alu steering block left

XRAY analysis what possibilities there are for updating the stock composite steering blocks design to survive even stronger crashes. If any improvement will be designed it will go into some of the next production batches. You can be sure XRAY will continue on further products development to provide the highest quality and best performing racing cars.

4.) Again, composite parts can break in crash. We have not experienced yet breaking of ball joints. Please send some picture where the ball joint broke and this will be for sure inspected if there is some problem or just you had bad luck in crash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 14:20:29 

mario wrote:
For extra dirty and dusty conditions running XRAY works on an upgrade that will allow you to run in dirt and dust with no problems. If more information will be available they will be posted online.

excellent! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 18:53:17 

8) Mario, thanks for all the emprovements. We do need that battery holder asap, the big race at RC madness we be here quick. thats one part that really needed bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 05:24:34 

Mario,

From your own words (or as close as possible). I would quote but they are separate posts and the technology doesn't allow, or at least I don't know how.

"Battery holder from the graphite chassis - asap".

"Working on upgrades to make dirt and dusty conditios, no problem".

We need the battery post - NOW!!
We need anything that can help in dirty/dusty conditions - NOW!!

You have the best 1/18th truck on the market but there are several flaws that you need to correct and make available right away.

I understand that you are consumed with several new vehicle introductions as well as the move to the new millenium factory. I can understand the delay in the upgrades to "help with dirty and dusty conditions" - but not the battery hold down. This part is already being manufactured and there should not be a problem to package it separately and make available to all of us who have been asking for it for quite some time now.

In my world - "asap" - means right away!!.

Post subject: new upgrade options asap
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:48:13 

What about the springs ?
Are we supposed to buy those of MiniQuake if we want harder ones ?
Will a metal pinion be available soon ?
My coposite 12 theeth pinion is working fine but I'm afraid it will not last long, expecially if it is not protected from dust and dirty.

Thank you
Filippo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 20:56:11 

thinking about buying the m18t. looking around on one18th.com i saw a lot of m18ts hopped up with aluminum and graphite parts that are said to come from xray. why are these parts not available on the x shop? the only hobbyshop that sells xray in my area is 45 mins away and they dont stock much in terms of mini stuff, just basic replacement parts for the touring cars. i will be buying some sort of mini truck in the future and i really really want it to be the m18t, but with all of the complaints i have read in the posts before mine i am starting to get skeptical. i dont plan on using this truck for racing, but i will be driving out doors and i dont want to be dealing with clogged drivetrains all of the time. please let me know what has been done so far to correct the problems that were listen in the previous posts and when the xray hop ups will be available on the xshop or if there is another online retailer that stocks them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 05:02:13 

I don't like sounding like a broken record.
I think, I hope, I've made my point.

It has now been months since Xray promised the release of a number of parts that everyone has been asking for. Some of the parts actually have part numbers that have been circulating - but nothing available to purchase.

2 items specifically that have part numbers are the battery hold-down from the graphite chassis kit and the 12mm wheel adapters.

Also promised was a fix for "dusty and dirty" conditions.

We are also waiting for something other than the composite pinion gears and more and more and more.

When I bought the M18t, over 4 months ago, there was a conversion kit advertised - from the literature right in the box - but nothing yet. I, like many have bought the individual parts to convert at a cost a lot more than should be, but there are parts such as the Starbusrt wheels which have not been available in North America for months - they probably never were.

Please let me/us know when we might expect some of these parts. You seem to be overly consumed with the marketing side of the business - telling us how incredibly well Xray is doing in competitions all over the world - and in the meantime you are neglecting the grass-roots of your succes, the people like me who realize you have the foundation of a superior product and NEED the upgrades to make it work.

Put the horse in front of the cart and make the upgrades available ASAP, as Mario indicated with the battery hold-down, for all the upgrades that have been discussed.

As a minimum, you should be providing us with a realistic timeframe in which we can expect them.

Mario, I'm losing patience.
Juri, are you in touch with what's going on?

Regards,
Cambridgenorth

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next