XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:11:41

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Driveshaft pinion gear: Front & Rear fully consumed in 1
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:56:20 

Hi,

After one single run with 3S LiIo (3xKonion 1100) and a Brushless set (Schulze + MiniAC 1215/12) with a long gearing 42/25 ... my car was start doing clicking noise in the full gas and at high speed.

I have discovered that both the Pinion Gear are 50% consumed and this cause to slide under power request.

Strangly the teath in the differential and inside the 4 little gear, no problem or wear was visible at all !

Have I had something wrong in the building and setting of these pinion ? Should I use a spacer in order to have the pinion gear more deep in contact with the differential ?

Or the M18 it is simply no capable to keep up under 100W motor power ?

Danke

e_lm_70

P.S: Are these pinion gear available alone , or should I get a new full differential set ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 01:51:29 

As shawn with Castle Creation suggests, with brushless you need to run the ball diffs. The gear diffs dont allow any slippage. Thus all that torque is being "pushed" through those small gears to the diff and then tires. With a ball diff the limited slip would help alleviate this problem.

Post subject: Re: Driveshaft pinion gear: Front & Rear fully consumed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 07:03:31 

e_lm_70 wrote:
P.S: Are these pinion gear available alone , or should I get a new full differential set ?

Xray offers only the whole set of the diff :arrow: #385000- Composite Rear Gear Diff. + Driveshaft Pinion Gear, I suggest you will get the optional #385001-Alu Adj. Ball Differential - Hard Coated - Set, more info you can find here http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/products/proddesc.php?prod_id=809&kategoria=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 08:04:39 

@ e_lm_70
Maybe you made a mistake seting the pinion distance.

Using the optional ball diff will not solve the problems with the pinions !!
Don't adjust or use the ball diff like a slipper; after a few runs the balls will get flat and the diff will not run smooth any more !!! Normally the weak point of gear diffs are the small pinions runing inside; but these parts are okay.

Greatings
Nelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 08:27:51 

Nelly, he said the driveshaft pinions, not the motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 08:48:25 

oXYnary
I never talked about motor or motor pinion.
But i'm not sure at the moment if there are shims encluded to adjust the driveshaft gears.

Greatings
Nelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 09:45:46 

Hi Guys,

My stocks diffs are still 100% fine !

The motor pinion gear (a metal 25T) and the spoor gear (the optional 42T) are as well 100% ok.

The problem is that the two "driveshaft pinion gear" (the two "pinion" between the main long shaft and the two diffs) they are 50% wear out, so even under a little load they will slide instead of pushing the diffs !

Even if I will use a alu ball diff, the problem will not be solved.

It look to me that only in the kit #385000 (and as well in the #385005, that is apparently out of production) I can find a replacement for the "driveshaft pinion gear" ... and I will need two of these "pinion" since both are consumed.

Clearly these pinion have been consumed since they find a space to be moving inside the gearbox ... I guess they have a little freedom to move back and force inside the main shaft ... so my idea it is that I would probably need a washer or a spacer in order to make the contact with the diff more strong.

As well the fact that both the pinion have wear out, while the diff is still 100% perfect, this means that the diff is made of a stronger material then the "plastic pinion" .

Mario : it would be possible to get sometime in the future an alu Driveshaft Pinion Gea ?

Danke

e_lm_70

P.S: Anybody know a good shop in Austria or Germany for buy back at reasonable price the #385000 ?

P.S: I also have to say that I hate the #385000 , the #385005 is far better. The #385000 is nicely smooth, but after a since run the little metal axe inside is moving out of its central and this means it will be needed to be rebuild !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 09:53:31 

@ e_lm_70
Shop in Austria or ...

You have got a pm.

BR
Nelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:17:06 

Quote:
The problem is that the two "driveshaft pinion gear" (the two "pinion" between the main long shaft and the two diffs) they are 50% wear out, so even under a little load they will slide instead of pushing the diffs !

Even if I will use a alu ball diff, the problem will not be solved.

Look here for real world experience. Your a member there.. you didn't see that post?

"the main problem i had like u with that mazing speed was i kept stripping the drive shaft pinions, not the actualy dif and NO ONE makes a replacment except the stock plastic from xray, i wich there was an aluminum for that... i have allot(hard coated difs) and i still break them damn pinions ugh.."
-irishXminit
later:

"Nah its becuse of the use of foams. BUT i just losened the slip dif a tad , all is good now.. it was worse when i had the stock dif that dont give any yanno.."

this thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:54:55 

Good to see that I'm not the only one ...

I was not using foam tires on carpet ... just almost stock rubber on a dirty big indoor garage ... so lot of power slide ... so I guess a regular brushed 300 motor on carpet can wear quite fast these pinion as well !

This means that the M18 isn't capable to handle power over 40-50 Watt.

Does anybody knows if these ring will help to put in place the soft pinion : C2+ Aluminum Gear Ring for XRay M18 (see: http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 5925631607 ) ?

Mario : please provide us an alu driveshaft pinion ... or give us a good tip on how to avoid this problem without the need to downgrade the power !!!

e_lm_70

P.S: Sigh .... the guys with the Micro RS can put a 540 can in their 1/18 ... and they don't have problem with pinion driveshaft !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 13:28:06 

oXYnary wrote:
Look here for real world experience. Your a member there.. you didn't see that post?

Opps ... took sometime to realize what you war speaking about ...

Look like that this "irishXminit" did have the same problem ... but I believe that my MiniAC is far more torque then the Mamba 8000 , since my torque with 42/25 gear is doing more mess then the Mamba 8000 with a softer 42/17 ....

Using a sliding diff isn't a solution for me !

It look to me that without a proper hop-ups this M18 isn't capable to handle powerfull motor ... and this is a big shame !

Hope some of the R&D guys in Xray are capable to provide a patch soon !

e_lm_70

Post subject: small fix
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 20:03:49 

I had the exact same problem.
3cell apogee pack and mamba 8000..

After taking apart the diffs and replacing the shaft gears, I put the two small silver washers both on the opposite side of the teeth for the main diff gear.. this seems to have corrected the small bit of lash in the mesh and I haven't had a problem since.

of course, an aluminum replacement sure would be swell...

hint, hint

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 14:49:18 

Nelly wrote:
oXYnary
I never talked about motor or motor pinion.
But i'm not sure at the moment if there are shims encluded to adjust the driveshaft gears.

Greatings
Nelly

ohh thank you.
website

Post subject: Re: Driveshaft pinion gear: Front & Rear fully consumed in 1
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 16:57:48 

Best trail cameras
Best Baby headphones 2019