XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 16:16:07

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Q&A with Paul Lemieux
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 19:20:37 
team driver

Hi Everyone, if you have a question for me please ask, im sure i will have questions too.
Grammer and spelling will NOT be good :) . I wont have answers for all of them but i will try.

Thanks, paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 20:15:27 
team driver

Mr. LeMieux

Can you let us know why they call you "Lights out"? :twisted:

See ya at the Nats
EA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 00:38:29 
team driver

Hi EA. me and Drew were at a race one time and he coined the nickname because i was fast that week. :wink:

Post subject: SHOCKING!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 00:48:52 

Hi Paul, i know you are abit of a specalist on carpet, but ive got a question for you on outdoors on ashphalt. whats your preferred shock setup that you would start with on say a medium grip track, meaning shock oils/wt, rebound, pistons (holes/size), shock bladders (std/non std?) . i tend to always build my shocks with 100% rebound because its quick and easy to do but maybe thats one of my downfalls as it seems to work some days and not others

thanks for any help
Graham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 03:31:43 

Foam 17.5, Set-up problem. Here is what I have
front
45wt oil, 2 holes closed, light purple, shocks in to 2nd hole, medium rollcenter, arms all way back, 4.5mm ride height, 2mm droop, about 1/2* toe out, stock sway bar, 0.5mm shim on hex to clear steering knuckle, 6* c-hubs

Rear
35wt oil, 1 hole closed, white springs, shocks in 3rd hole in, low roll center, arms all way back, 4.6mm ride height, 1.5mm droop, 1* toe at hub-1/2*inboard on each side, no sway bar,

All camber links shimed and positioned as your Novak Foam Set-up
Tires-Magenta all the way around trued to 56.25mm
Body-Protoform R9-f
Radio settings are as far as possible without rubbing the tires on the shocks

Car is balanced left to right and weighs in around 1430g. On both a medium bite track and a high back track. I have an on power push on exit especially at larger sweepers. And any area where speed needs to be maintained.

I've tried
From high roll center front to medium, reducing droop from 3 to 2mm, removed the sway bar, seemed to help some but the added chassis roll seemed to make it a little less predictable so I went back to it

Also seemed loose mid and exit of tight 180's but when I added the 1/2* inboard toe and stood the shocks up to where they are it seemed to fix that, with out the 1/2* I would swing the back end around the tighter areas with out letting off throttle and try to hang without spinning all the way out.

I really like the car everywhere else, very nimble in traffic and predictable in the chicanes and corner entry, I just want to get more exit steering without coming of the throttle so much (or at all)

Post subject: Re: SHOCKING!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 17:53:05 
team driver

Gray63 wrote:
Hi Paul, i know you are abit of a specalist on carpet, but ive got a question for you on outdoors on ashphalt. whats your preferred shock setup that you would start with on say a medium grip track, meaning shock oils/wt, rebound, pistons (holes/size), shock bladders (std/non std?) . i tend to always build my shocks with 100% rebound because its quick and easy to do but maybe thats one of my downfalls as it seems to work some days and not others

thanks for any help
Graham

Hi Graham. for me 400cst oil with 2hole front piston and 3hole rear pistons is a good starting point. I dont run the clicker pistons, clickers feel way different than their fixed counterpart.
I like both the plastic and aluminum shocks. 50% rebound is pretty standard, the higher the bite the less rebound i run but i never run 100% but i would run 0% if needed, I always run the standard shock bladders but i dont normally run the foam, when i do run the foam i space it down with a 1mm plastic shim glued to the shock cap to make it more effective.

hope this helps, Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 17:59:07 
team driver

Miller Time wrote:
Foam 17.5, Set-up problem. Here is what I have
front
45wt oil, 2 holes closed, light purple, shocks in to 2nd hole, medium rollcenter, arms all way back, 4.5mm ride height, 2mm droop, about 1/2* toe out, stock sway bar, 0.5mm shim on hex to clear steering knuckle, 6* c-hubs

Rear
35wt oil, 1 hole closed, white springs, shocks in 3rd hole in, low roll center, arms all way back, 4.6mm ride height, 1.5mm droop, 1* toe at hub-1/2*inboard on each side, no sway bar,

All camber links shimed and positioned as your Novak Foam Set-up
Tires-Magenta all the way around trued to 56.25mm
Body-Protoform R9-f
Radio settings are as far as possible without rubbing the tires on the shocks

Car is balanced left to right and weighs in around 1430g. On both a medium bite track and a high back track. I have an on power push on exit especially at larger sweepers. And any area where speed needs to be maintained.

I've tried
From high roll center front to medium, reducing droop from 3 to 2mm, removed the sway bar, seemed to help some but the added chassis roll seemed to make it a little less predictable so I went back to it

Also seemed loose mid and exit of tight 180's but when I added the 1/2* inboard toe and stood the shocks up to where they are it seemed to fix that, with out the 1/2* I would swing the back end around the tighter areas with out letting off throttle and try to hang without spinning all the way out.

I really like the car everywhere else, very nimble in traffic and predictable in the chicanes and corner entry, I just want to get more exit steering without coming of the throttle so much (or at all)

Hi. i would do 2 things, first i would moove your steering post foreward. if the post is not forward (put it forward) if the post is already forward extend the ackermann 1 knotch. secondly you should get a hold of the losi Brown diff grease and put it in your front diff (not rear). these two things should make the car carry more corner speed and have more exit steering. Try it out and let me know if it worked for you. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 19:26:24 

Hi Paul thanks for your reply to my question, just one more thing to add what hole size do you run on the shock pistons?

thanks
Graham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 19:56:23 

Thanks Paul,

The Akerman and post are all the way forward already, I'll try the Diff lube this weekend.

Could you elaborate more on why you don't run the Foam in the shock bladder.

Also any tuning advantage to running diff position high or low besides lower weight placement?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 06:33:30 

Paul, when you get some time do you think you could post your worlds NT1 setup? Also, have you ever tried rear roll center +3 and 2mm on the upright?

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 18:49:49 
team driver

Gray63 wrote:
Hi Paul thanks for your reply to my question, just one more thing to add what hole size do you run on the shock pistons?

thanks
Graham

Sorry i forgot, i normally just run the stock pistons, i think that the plastic shocks are 1.0 and the aluminum ones are 1.1. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 18:57:42 
team driver

Miller Time wrote:
Thanks Paul,

The Akerman and post are all the way forward already, I'll try the Diff lube this weekend.

Could you elaborate more on why you don't run the Foam in the shock bladder.

Also any tuning advantage to running diff position high or low besides lower weight placement?

lately i have been rinnung less rebound in my shocks (only when their is traction) so with foams i dont normally run the foam pece. same for high bite rubber.

the diff position is very important, for foam i like a lower rear diff than front, for rubber i normally just run them both high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 19:01:18 
team driver

rx7ttlm wrote:
Paul, when you get some time do you think you could post your worlds NT1 setup? Also, have you ever tried rear roll center +3 and 2mm on the upright?

cheers

I will look for my worlds set-up on line, I think it is up their. Im not sure exactly what rear link you are talking about but i have tried them all at one time or a nother and the best one is on the set up sheet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 19:06:23 
team driver

rx7ttlm wrote:

cheers

xform/index.php?act=view&ID=779&setup=nt1

never copied and paisted anything like this before so i dont know if the link will work but here is the set up. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 21:21:58 

Paul LeMieux wrote:
rx7ttlm wrote:

cheers

I will look for my worlds set-up on line, I think it is up their. Im not sure exactly what rear link you are talking about but i have tried them all at one time or a nother and the best one is on the set up sheet.

thanks, and rear inner arm roll center at the top position is what I was talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 15:54:09 

Paul,
I was looking at your setup sheet for the Novak TC (mod foam) and I am going to give foams a go on my 008 (EU spec). I normally run rubber tyres, can you suggest some changes as a starting point ?

I've got CRC Magenta's at the moment and will be running 6.5 with lipo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 00:22:33 
team driver

Hi Chris, i would change as many things as possible to my set up as you can, the EU chassis will be ok but i would for sure put a front diff in with all of the other settings, make the rear dif is as free possible but tight, then make the front tighter feeling (this will make the car more driveable on turn in, then have more exceleration and steering on exit). please let me know if you have more specific questions. Thanks, Paul

Post subject: Diff Tips
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 03:18:27 

Paul,

Do you have any tips on building the rear diff so that it last longer and is super smooth?

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 09:26:37 

I ended up pretty much on your setup Paul, without a diff (I've only got a spool for the front)

The car slid a little bit going into corners for the first run, so I left the additive on for longer on the second run and it was much much better

Thanks for the tips !
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 15:06:45 
team driver

Munrath: Hi. I always start with fresh diff parts, thrust and rings especially, the carbide xray balls dont wear out that much. I sand my diff rings with 1000 grit sand papper, to do this i put the ring on the female outdrive (without the thrust assymply in it) and sand away for maybe 2min on a fresh ring ( sand circles in both directions or in a figure eight), I put a drop of bearing oil on the sand papper. for rings that have been used i will sand those with 500 grit untill the groove from running is gone, then i will finish with 1000 again. I use the xray Black grease on the thrust and iether the xray stock grease or clear stealth lube on the balls.
If the diff is not good after putting in all new parts (has tight feeling spots) then replace the screw and the thrust clip.

Xray is currently testing more diff lubes right now, so most likely we will have some new stuff soon.

Chris: No problem.

Thanks, paul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next