XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 00:59:34

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Q & A With the U.S. Racing Team
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 17:41:53 
team driver

RC4life wrote:
Hey guys, I am needing and want more off powr steering, how? And is there any updates coming out for the diff issue? so far I have not had any issues with my diff bearings but thought I would ask.

make up a setup sheet and post the link here so we can see where your at currently :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 04:46:42 

I had moved the front arms forward and the rear arms forward, smallest front swaybar, slighltly heavier oil in rear shocks, 3000wt diff oil in rear, the rest box stock. I have done other things and did not like the changes so went back to stock. I am used to alot more off power steering then I seem to be able to get, maybe change my driving style? Thank you for your help all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 20:19:45 

Put 3-5-7 in the diffs, you will get a lot of off-power steering. Make sure you enough rear droop as well, as this will allow more weight to transfer to the nose.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 20:24:53 

Rocco Margiotta wrote:
Put 3-5-7 in the diffs, you will get a lot of off-power steering. Make sure you enough rear droop as well, as this will allow more weight to transfer to the nose.

Thank you, you say 3-5-7 is that Fr. Cen. Rr? just seems a bit heavy for rear.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 20:30:21 

RC4life wrote:
Rocco Margiotta wrote:

Yes, F-C-R.

The worst thing you can do when it comes to setting up a car is assuming outcomes of changes. Sure, sometimes 7 would be too much in the rear, other times it may be too light. But if you can't get turn it, base on your track, I would start with light in the front and heavy in the back to get the car to free up coming into the corner. I've run as much as 10k in the rear when I was running on a tight indoor track with a lot of 180s, I didn't even have to use my brakes other than to get off the straight.

But never be worried about trying something. Every car is different, even two cars that are identically setup will be different.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 20:42:39 

Rocco Margiotta wrote:
RC4life wrote:
Rocco Margiotta wrote:

Yes, F-C-R.

The worst thing you can do when it comes to setting up a car is assuming outcomes of changes. Sure, sometimes 7 would be too much in the rear, other times it may be too light. But if you can't get turn it, base on your track, I would start with light in the front and heavy in the back to get the car to free up coming into the corner. I've run as much as 10k in the rear when I was running on a tight indoor track with a lot of 180s, I didn't even have to use my brakes other than to get off the straight.

But never be worried about trying something. Every car is different, even two cars that are identically setup will be different.

You are right and I will give these a try, thank you Rocco, I appreciate the advice and will put it to work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 20:46:49 

Allmost all the tracks I run on have tight 180's and hairpins and are on the medium size of track. Most are fairly smooth for the most part and are hardpacked clay, some loose top others not, regardless of which track, I am always trying to get more off power steering. Thank you again for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 21:46:37 

Hey,

I'm going through my truggy and rebuilding everything for this season. New chassis, new arms, c hubs, front and rear hubs, and anything else that shows any wear. I'm wondering if I should rebuild the CVDs or not. The couplings aren't cheap but mine have developed some play in them. Is the coupling the wear point that should be replaced or do you guys just keep running them? I would going to replace all 6 and put in new pins with the flat spot on them.
Anything else I should look at? All diffs and shocks look great and I stay on top of bearing replacements.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 22:03:10 
team driver

pickle311 wrote:
Hey,

I'm going through my truggy and rebuilding everything for this season. New chassis, new arms, c hubs, front and rear hubs, and anything else that shows any wear. I'm wondering if I should rebuild the CVDs or not. The couplings aren't cheap but mine have developed some play in them. Is the coupling the wear point that should be replaced or do you guys just keep running them? I would going to replace all 6 and put in new pins with the flat spot on them.
Anything else I should look at? All diffs and shocks look great and I stay on top of bearing replacements.

Thanks

Do you think they would make it another season? How bad is what you're talking about? I don't know if I run my truck as much as you do but mine lasted all last year and still looks pretty good! I wear out my 808 drive train parts sooo much faster than my XT8, but that probably because I run my 808 a lot more.

What I would look at:
1. If you were to replace the barrel and pin, would the slop be about the same? If so then the drive shaft its self is to far gone and in this case I would just keep running it until I felt like spending the money to replace everything.

2. If and when you replace the barrel and pin and its tight or just slightly loose then I would leave it at that.

I've had my truck for two years now and I've only replaced the barrels and pins once. Pretty good for my heavy throtle finger, you know...lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 22:43:06 

There's a little play in them but it's tough to tell if it's the actual drive shaft or coupling that's worn, or both. I ran the truck all year and put maybe 4 gallons on it. I've seen some that were much worse than mine, I wouldn't even consider mine bad. I know I could get a little more life out of the drive train but I want to freshen it up for the season. Realistically it would be fine not touching it especially since I have another truck that I will be using for practice and club racing. This one will only be used for big races so I want it perfect.
I'm a bit of a maintenance freak and enjoy the fact that I didn't have a single DNF this year. Now I'm on a mission to keep that streak going.

Thanks Jason, you going to the Icebreaker at Indy next month?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 00:13:05 
team driver

pickle311 wrote:
There's a little play in them but it's tough to tell if it's the actual drive shaft or coupling that's worn, or both. I ran the truck all year and put maybe 4 gallons on it. I've seen some that were much worse than mine, I wouldn't even consider mine bad. I know I could get a little more life out of the drive train but I want to freshen it up for the season. Realistically it would be fine not touching it especially since I have another truck that I will be using for practice and club racing. This one will only be used for big races so I want it perfect.
I'm a bit of a maintenance freak and enjoy the fact that I didn't have a single DNF this year. Now I'm on a mission to keep that streak going.

Thanks Jason, you going to the Icebreaker at Indy next month?

Well, I guess your call then. :wink:

Yes, I'm going to the Ice Breaker, see you there. Are you coming to Houston the following weekend for Rd. 1 of the State Series?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 02:21:15 

I'm bummed I can't make Porter, I'll be in Turks and Caicos.

I'm on the fence on what class to enter for the Ice Breaker. I have to run open/expert in RC PRO. I don't know if I should sign up for expert or not but I know I need to bite the bullet and run with you guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 07:53:30 

can U tell me what center diff oil does to the car say if i run
5/5/2
5/7/2
the only oil i play with is rear running the 808E
what does thicker center diff oil do? say if i went 5/10/3
i find it to be a fine line between the 3 u get the same effect .. thick rear oil will b less diff action,engage sooner n make the car loose on power, too light oil will diff out sooner n do the same thing.. i run 41 od in the front n it works good but,could u get the same result with thick oil 7/5/2will that make the car loose also?
how does oil weight effect off power steering? thick/thin?
the center diff is my new project so,i would like to know what u guy's think.. I run indoor clay very cold 35/30deg avg the car is a lil under 7.1/2 lbs thanx Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 16:46:14 
team driver

customworksking wrote:
can U tell me what center diff oil does to the car say if i run
5/5/2
5/7/2
the only oil i play with is rear running the 808E
what does thicker center diff oil do? say if i went 5/10/3
i find it to be a fine line between the 3 u get the same effect .. thick rear oil will b less diff action,engage sooner n make the car loose on power, too light oil will diff out sooner n do the same thing.. i run 41 od in the front n it works good but,could u get the same result with thick oil 7/5/2will that make the car loose also?
how does oil weight effect off power steering? thick/thin?
the center diff is my new project so,i would like to know what u guy's think.. I run indoor clay very cold 35/30deg avg the car is a lil under 7.1/2 lbs thanx Kevin

• Changing the oil in the front differential affects overall steering response.
• Changing the oil in the center differential affects the front-to-rear drive.
• Changing the oil in the rear differential affects cornering traction and overall steering.

DIFF OIL
THICKNESS CHARACTERISTICS
Front
Thinner
• Increases steering into corners (off-power)
• If oil is too thin the steering may become inconsistent,
especially it can lose forward traction (and steering)
during acceleration out of corners

Thicker
• Increases stability into corners during braking
• Increases steering on-power at corner exit

Center
Thinner
• Front wheels unload more during acceleration
• Decreases on-power steering (reduces oversteer)
• Easier to drive on rough tracks
• If a high-power engine is used you could waste too
much power and sometime “cook” the oil in the center
differential because it “overloads”
• More off-power steering

Thicker
• More all-wheel drive effect
• Better acceleration
• Increases on-power steering (reduces understeer)
• Better suited on high-bite, smooth tracks
• Car can be more nervous to drive especially if a high
power engine is used - you might need to be smooth on
the throttle

Rear
Thinner • Increases cornering traction
• Increases steering into corner
Thicker
• Decreases rear traction while cornering
• Reduces wheelspin

All of this information come from the Hudy Set-Up Book, which you can find by clicking the go to home page next to the link you click to come to the fourm. Click on either the 808 or XT8, next click the download link and in there you will be able to find things like the exploded view of part and the set up book.

HUDY Off-road & Truggy Set-up Book (pdf) - English

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/showfi ... le_id=4461
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 20:47:03 

Jason,

Have you tried using a fuel gun on your XT8 with the Pro Line Bulldog body? I was looking at mine this weekend and it doesn't look like it will work unless I cut a hole big enough for the fuel gun to extend into the body past the taper. That would be a huge hole if I'm correct.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 13:53:21 
team driver

pickle311 wrote:
Jason,

Have you tried using a fuel gun on your XT8 with the Pro Line Bulldog body? I was looking at mine this weekend and it doesn't look like it will work unless I cut a hole big enough for the fuel gun to extend into the body past the taper. That would be a huge hole if I'm correct.

You're right it is a larger than normal hole but yes I do use the fuel gun so I do it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 17:32:31 

Thanks, guess I'll cut it out tonight and see. It's an old body anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 15:51:39 

Jason Branham wrote:
pickle311 wrote:
Jason,

You're right it is a larger than normal hole but yes I do use the fuel gun so I do it.

Yep you do need the lager hole here is the lads Truggy with the fuel gun hole cut out. I use the DE Racing puller through the front window works well and is in and out in the pits..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 22:49:21 

Hey guys I just recently bought the 808e kit I also have the 09 spec 808 could you give me a rough starting point on the Diffs and shocks/springs. Thanks
Good luck @ the Nitro Pit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 18:27:27 

Jason, congrats on the top 10 finish on the big stage. It's nice to see Xray up there battling with the top pros here in the US.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next