XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:21:15

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 52  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 22:01:42 

Well, my XT8 was much improved over the last setup I had. The lighter shock oils 50/40 Losi w/ 4x1.5 Pistons worked awsome with the Jammin Red springs. I also switched to 7/7/7 from 7/10/7 diff weights, and went to the outer locations f and r upper outside camber links. I laid the shocks down to stock positions, but went to the lower line of holes on the front for ride hight to make up for the lack of shims :)

The truck was very soft which worked out very well since they didn't maintain the track at all before the race. It soaked up all the bumps and my mistakes it seems.

I did notice that on power steering wasn't as agressive, but I'd give that up for the stability it had any day of the week. I didn't have any issue navigating through the Z bend section at all with the soft suspension...Didn't seem to roll over too much and reacted well. I think the added traction made up for the slower body movement. The most noticable thing was that I could power into the whoop section and if I missed timing a bit, it would soak up the mistakes and get me through smooth anyway.

The turnout wasn't very good, but I finished 1st and the cash I won paid for the gas/race fee/ and food and smokes for the day, which was cool with me.

Final word: 7/7/7 with medium springs are DIALED for an average racer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 22:06:20 

Oh, and one other thing I forgott to mention.....If the track wasn't dry and they watered it between rounds..The truck would probably have benefited from the 7/10/7 diff setup during the quals and maybe the hard blue springs. But, since the mains were 30min, the track would have dried and traction would have been gone anyways so I think this setup is perfect for the diffs. The rear end was locked in nicely and truck was turning very controlable on and off power. I'd like to see how this setup would have worked on a damp track though...

I don't think it got loose on me at all while on power with that big .28

Post subject: My new car
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 09:57:51 

Here a picture of my new car when the weather is fine I can run in the engine.

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/index.php?m=fto ... y=DYEA7RPU

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 14:50:53 

What Picco did you put on your XT8?

Looks GOOD, just needs some dirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 05:33:26 

Message to Mr.Hudy for 2008: Please remove the Thrax tires from the XT8 kit and lower the price! Or include universal driveshafts and aluminum arm mounts instead. Or even better yet, swap those tires out for genuine Pro-line crimer fighter LPR's and provide new Xray 3.8" wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 17:22:27 

WheelNut wrote:
Message to Mr.Hudy for 2008: Please remove the Thrax tires from the XT8 kit and lower the price! Or include universal driveshafts and aluminum arm mounts instead. Or even better yet, swap those tires out for genuine Pro-line crimer fighter LPR's and provide new Xray 3.8" wheels.

Why remove the tyres they rock. Awesome tyres!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 18:56:06 

Andy Taylor wrote:
WheelNut wrote:

surely you are joking, right???? They are the worst tires I have run..I have yet to find a track where they work well (well, at the three tracks I ran at last year)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 00:47:17 

I found the thrax tyres best used for testing purposes, like short runs up and down the front on the bitchamen....lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 14:53:17 

gtsum wrote:
Andy Taylor wrote:
WheelNut wrote:

surely you are joking, right???? They are the worst tires I have run..I have yet to find a track where they work well (well, at the three tracks I ran at last year)

Nope my lad favours them when he can run them. WE have an Astro turf track and a winter series where we can run mulchers or crimes . The one meeting where it was dry after the meeting had finished he stuck a set of thrax on and beat his TQ time.

He has run them on a few other tracks and they have been fine!

Obviously no tyre is universal but where we race they work well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 06:13:48 

Exactally, no tire is universal, just like no engine or radio is universal, which is why they are not included in the kit. The Thrax tires are utterly useless in North America. Xray should keep producing them for the astroturf guys if they are working for you, but there is no reason they should be in the kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 00:42:21 

WheelNut wrote:
Exactally, no tire is universal, just like no engine or radio is universal, which is why they are not included in the kit. The Thrax tires are utterly useless in North America. Xray should keep producing them for the astroturf guys if they are working for you, but there is no reason they should be in the kit.

What I was saying was we have run them at other tracks and they performed well.

I am not a fan of kit tyres usually but the saving to Xray in the kit would be minimal and to the average driver some tyres are better than none!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 14:40:55 

anybody got any sugestions to get some more steering out of the car?

its the only thing i didnt like about the car when i first drove it today

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:44:25 

guys the tries that come with the xt8 is good for braking in the motor and to play around with i wish the 808 would come with tries and rims like the truggie does just for that purpose,,,,,,,, brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 01:41:17 

12a_rx2 wrote:

I need to post up our set up. We ran at a dirt track the other day while testing the new car and it was remarked on as to how much steering Lee has got on the truggy. Guess what tyres we used??

Yep Xray Thrax tyres. So now I am wondering what we have got that others have not but the truggy was awesome round the hairpins.

I know we have 20/10/5 in the diffs and shocks have 800 CPS in but links etc I need to check which set up sheet we are running!

Oh it came straight of an Astro turf track with no set up changes so I reckon we can get even more steering if we need it!

Remind me if I forget. This week is manic at work and I am finishing off decorating to make time for running the 808 its that good.! LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 15:31:53 

Ive tryed a search but cant seam to find the Part Number for the 41 tooth overdrive for the truggy..

Any one have the number

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 16:57:27 

12a_rx2 wrote:

Steering where, on or off power? If you want on-power steering, go up in the rear diff, I was running 5/5/10 at silver state in my truck, you can also standup the shocks all the way around (this will also help in the bumps). If you want off power steering, lay the front shocks down, lighter front sway bar, more antisquat, more rear brake also helps the truck tremendously. If you just want your rear end to be more reactive, shorten the link all the way, and raise it up on the tower.

Hope this helps.

One thing to remember on truggies, is since the arms are so long and the tires are soooo big that it generates A LOT of grip, so the biggest changes you can make to the truck are diff/clutch setups, tire choice and shock positions and sping & oil combos. Since the truck makes so much grip, it kind of nulls out fine tuning with geometry.

Don't be afraid to go crazy with the diffs, the track had so much grip at the RC Pro Finals last year that I ran 5/10/20 (yes, 5 being in the front) to get the truck into the corner and to rotate out of it on power.

Post subject: re plastic bracer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 00:07:20 

Hi i just bought my first Xray Truggy, I owned a Crt Hong nor, Shall i change the plastic Bracer into aluminium??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 00:30:45 

IMO there's no need to change to the alu. braces. Just make sure you don't tighten up the screws holding the fuel tank. Tighten them until the head of the screw just touches the grommet (as if you do them up too tight while running the front plastic chassis brace, it has been known for the fuel tank tabs to break).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 19:01:29 

Thanks mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:57:18 

blade954 wrote:
Hi peeps,

Just after peoples opinions does the captured hinge pin set of the TQ/EC slow the truggy down, I have ordered the parts to convert but don't want to start mix and matching parts from other brands to get captured hinge pins.

Has anyone done the conversion and if so what was your thoughts....

Yes in my opinion is does slow the truggy down.

For what its worth I dont like e clips either but have tapped the composite holder and added a grub screw for back up!

We still have some more work to do to establish if this is the case but last weekend my son bumped from 6th in the C final to win the A main.

Standard Truggy as first run in the UK 0ver 12 months ago taking 3rd place at neo. We have added ali rear uprights and front steering knuckles purely because we had them.

It has done a complete National truggy series (engine problems causing bad results) a complete winters series (large track big jumps) and numerous test days and not to mention many novice drivers testing it after a meeting has finished for 30 mins or so.

Its still as good as new and we still run standard shocks. They dont leak and have not been rebuilt, just cleaned! We run plastic braces.

This truggy was quicker than the truggy run by Bren Ralls who was running the ali options.

I guess I should be saying yeah buy the ali stuff so more money can be made by the manufacturer and distributer but its much better to just sell more truggies in general and more happy drivers.

I will after the weekend get time to post the set up. but to start with its 20.000 front diff 10,000 center diff and 5,000 rear diff. We did run 2,000 in the rear for the final but that was because it ws snowing and grip was at a premium.

hey I may be wrong but thats just my 10 pennies worth! LOL

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 52  Next